Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chemo Countdown! Two days to go!

Two more days until the first treatment. I'm officially off of work as of yesterday, so I've been running around trying to take care of as many errands as possible so I don't have to worry about them after Thursday.


I went yesterday to get all of my prescriptions filled that the doctor wrote out for me. I feel like an old woman! They don't even all fit into my little pill box that I keep my regular supplements in :) Most of them are "as needed" to combat the chemo side effects but there are three different ones to help with the nausea. The Pharmacist said that one of them in particular is "worth every penny" (they are $24/pill...thank God for insurance). So, I'm all set with my drugs!


I also talked to my cancer nurse and she said that I shouldn't lose all of my hair!! That is the BEST news I could have ever gotten! I have really thick, mostly healthy, hair so she said I should experience some thinning only. That has been the hardest part for me. And every time someone says "don't worry, it will grow back", I just want to reach out and smack them! Sure, it will grow back but it will take YEARS. Something I cannot mentally handle at this point. So, I'm glad that I don't have to worry as much about that. It takes a massive weight off my shoulders.

So, two more days! I'm still not nervous!

4 comments:

  1. Aw man, so we won't be able to be hair twins when I cut mine off to make you a wig?!? *pouts*

    I love you and have been thinking of you constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh whoops. That comment above was from me (Becky). Stupid google.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, it was very hard for Liz to lose her hair. I have heard from the social workers that it is harder for a woman to lose her hair than anything else they have to go thru. Glad you don't have to go thru it.

    Jeff Morhous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeff!

    Yes, losing hair as a woman is terrifying. For men, it will take a couple of months to grow back after treatment, but for a woman it can take years before it gets long like some of us are used to. It's just terrible that Liz had to go through hair loss on top of everything else :( I hope she was able to be comfortable with it and keep smiling despite it!

    ReplyDelete